Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:34:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Burstable T1

   OK, so the moral of the story seems to be- never believe the salesman,
caveat emptor, etc. and so forth. I kind of figured that, and it was
extremely interesting to hear what (definitely emphasize quotes) "standard
practices" there are.

   It's also good to hear from people who know a lot more than I do that
network co. salesmen are idiots- sometimes it's obvious, but I'm a
software tech and only begrudgingly have learned about networking's inner
mechanisms, and am thus vulnerable to their buzzwords of doom. :)

   Where we're located there are very few high-rate data customers, so
the options available are probably less extensive than in more populated
areas. (there really isn't anyone to share a line with) That would explain
as well as any why I heard what I did.

   Oh- and about "bandwidth management" (answering the poor gentleman's
question that sparked this whole thing) it's definitely possible to choke
your usage down below <x>bps if you want, probably without drastic
consequences unless you are truly over capacity. Dummynet and the fine
family of etinc products all allow you to do that to various degrees. I'm
far from an expert on that front, but plenty of people here do it all the
time and can be more helpful.

-=Jim=-