Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:59:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        msmith@freebsd.org (Mike Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

Mike Smith wrote...
> > And as for the device renaming, you didn't have to change anything from
> > sd->da.  The old device names and nodes were supported in most every way.
> > There were a lot of mis-informed people on the lists who claimed that you
> > had to change your device names.  That was completely untrue, and I
> > attempted to correct people, but the myth and FUD continued to propagate.
>
> Changing the device nodes' names was the only sensible thing to do when
> everything else that referred to the device by name (source files, kernel
> config, boot-time messages) used the new name.  Ther

Looks like your mail got a little truncated.

In any case, yes, it does make more sense to be consistent and use the new
names, but what I was getting at is that there were some folks who said
things like:  "You have to change all your device names to da* in order to
use CAM."  That isn't true, of course, but it certainly caused some
confusion and consternation.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry