Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 12:09:17 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Kai Voigt <k@123.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1-STABLE, make world problems, funny case

At 11:25 AM +0200 2000/9/23, Kai Voigt wrote:

>  I just found /usr/ports/sysutils/memtest/ and hope to find that bit.

	Sadly, most memory testing utilities don't find problems like
this.  It seems to be a conjunction of lots of I/O and heavy stress
placed on memory that trips things like this up -- precisely the sort
of thing you get during a "make world", but precisely the sort of
thing that you don't find with a memory tester.

	I believe that the regular suggestion is to try a "make world"
with half of your regular memory installed.  If that works
(repeatedly), then try it with the other half.  If one fails and the
other succeeds, then you've narrowed down which half the bad memory
is in.  You swap out half of the suspect memory with the good memory,
and you try again.  If the test succeeds, then you know the part you
swapped out contains the bad memory.

	Repeat this process until you've found the SIMMs or DIMMs that
repeatedly cause failure, while removing them allows things to work
normally.

	Note that ECC RAM usually helps in this case, but it is possible
for there to be so many errors that even ECC can't save you.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium