Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 10:42:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        mgessner@aristar.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SAMBA

> Hi, All,
>
>   I'm looking for some information on how to set up SAMBA with a Windows
> 95 network.  So far, I'm able to "see" the machine from the Windows machines,
> but when I try to access them, I get an error message saying the machine
> can't be found.

Note that for browsing you need a (pc)guest account on the server side
(FreeBSD). The machine should be in \win95\hosts (or what your windir is).

Also I recommend to examine the logs in /usr/local/samba/*.
I explicitly specify the broadcast address in the nmbd startup line
in /etc/rc.local (I don't use inetd.conf to start the daemons).

Besides this I recommend to read the INSTALL.txt which is quite
instructive and other related docs in the samba directory.