Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 12:52:49 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1045162370.9785ae@mired.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        northern snowfall <dbailey27@ameritech.net>, chat@freebsd.org, matrix@altima.net
Subject:   Re: languages

I'm going to say one more thing on this subject, that's probably going
to upset a lot of people.

If the object is employability, my answers are SQL, VB and C#.

Based on figures I've seen elsewhere, and my watching various
technical help wanted locations, there are far more people wanted to
write SQL than anything else. The problem is that it's balkanized, so
that knowing the Postgres flavor may not work in getting you a job if
they want someone who knows the Oracle flavor.

VB just edges out perl, java and C++, which seem to be about even with
each other. VB is also balkanized a bit, as each application
apparently has it's own variant. You may wind up in the same situation
as with SQL.

C# actually trails perl, java and C++, but not by a lot. Since it's
the fastest growing of the four, that may change in the near future.

Obviously, Perl, Java and C++ are the choices if you don't like the
balkanization of SQL and VB, and the newness of C#.

	<mike