Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:25:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decent case for an Asus Dual PPro ?

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Hi all. I just picked up one of those Asus Dual PPro boards - the
> > P6UP5 main board with the C-P6ND daughter card. The thing seems really
> > hot (pun intended), and I'm looking forward to trying out
> > FreeBSD-3.0/SMP on it!
> >
> > The only problem is that the only case I could find to fit it in was
> > a super el-cheapo minitower that I could yank the 3.5" cage out of
> > (to accomodate the long daughter card). This case sucks, and if I leave
> > the metal enclosure on it gets much too hot for my comfort.
> >
> > So I'm wondering if anyone could recomend a decent case that works
> > well with this Asus daughter card stuff.
>
> What footprint is this board?  You might want to consider buying a

  These are a standard AT type board, with a largish daughtercard.  It is
typical these days for cases to obstruct most of the motherboard with
drives bays and other junk.

> "real" chassis for it; either a rack case (moderately expensive, but

  I have two of the ASUS P6UP5 boards in rack cases, and I agree with
that.  I get them from American Media Systems.

> very robust) or a decent server tower.  Have a look at supermicro's
> site for some ideas on what real boxes look like.  You should be able
> to find someone in your area (Ottowa?) that carries their stuff.

  I see a lot of good no-name server cases around.  I found that Supercom
carries a nice server case (6 external 5.25 bays!).  Only a $160 CAN.

> mike

Tom