Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:06:17 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dave Rossow <dave@dreksys.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Too many open files (was: freebsd won't go multi-user)

On Sunday, 21 March 1999 at  3:04:56 -0800, Dave Rossow wrote:
> Hi, can anyone help point me in the right direction?  I'm having a problem
> using FreeBSD 3.1.  I installed from the latest CDRom using the 'impatient'
> method.  I've setup two systems, one as a database server, the other as a
> webserver.  Neither are as yet in active production use yet.  The install
> worked fine and everything seemed fine.  However, sometime shortly after I
> started installing various software packages I started getting syslog
> message like the following:
>
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data last message repeated 3 times
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data /kernel: file: table is full
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data last message repeated 3 times
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data /kernel: file: table is full
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data last message repeated 3 times
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data /kernel: file: table is full
> Mar 21 02:00:24 data last message repeated 12 times

This message should be self-explanatory.  It doesn't answer the
question "which files are open?", of course.  You could use lsof
(Ports Collection) for that.

> I get the same messages on both systems and after trying to reboot one of
> them, I find it will now only boot into single user mode.

What happens when you try?

> Is this some kind of blocking factor problem?

No.

> Do I need to re-create the filesystems or something?

No.

> Anybody experienced this before?

Yes.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The simple answer is to say "rebuild your kernel with a higher
MAXUSERS".  100 is a good value; there are problems if you go beyond
about 250 in 3.1, but they'll be gone in 4.0.  MAXUSERS is a rather
silly name for parameters which influence the system globally,
including the maximum number of open files.

Having said that, you might find that your problem lies elsewhere.
You won't know that until you know what files are open (see lsof
above) and whether they should be open.  I'd guess that if you're
using this system as a database server, they probably should be open.

Greg