Date:        Sun, 03 Jun 2001 12:17:30 +0200
From:      Arjan Knepper <arjan@jak.nl>
To:        Francisco Reyes <freyes@inch.com>
Cc:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: is c-forge worth the trouble?

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Sat, 26 May 2001 00:07:04 -0600, Chris Fedde wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 25 May 2001 18:29:08 +0100  j mckitrick wrote:
> > +------------------
> > |
> > | or am i better of using standard console tools?
> > | jcm
> > +------------------
>
> >My self? I usually need a pretty good reason to part with
> >good cash for software.
>
> Many programs have a trial mode, hopefully long enough so people
> can see if it fits their needs.

Code Forge has a FREE version for personal use!

> >I find that almost nothing lives up to it's marketing claims.
>
> I don't know if it runs on FreeBSD,

Yes is does (compat 3.0 is needed) I use quit a lot for C++ development on
FreeBSD.
Especialy the project manager is what I like about it. If you like auto
identation/ reformatation and the like you probably will like their editor as
well.
I think you should give it a try. An other IDE is SourceNavigator form Red Had
(also in the ports) is worth looking at.

> but if Kylix is anything at
> all as good as Delphi, that is probably the best tool around.
> Some people may not like it is Object Pascal, but for those of
> us who have never liked C/C++/Java Delphi/Kylix is an excellent
> alternative.

I hope the IDE is not as wors as the CPPBuilder IDE.

> >YMMV but for me four or five xterms running gcc, gdb, make, man, bash with
> >lots of command history, nvi with a few good macros, and ctags

That is also working quit well, is you like visual debugging try DDD.

Just my $ 0.02

Arjan