Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:43:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   memtest question on 8 GB RAM AMD64 system

Dear freebsd people,

I have just installed 4 x 2gb kingston memory banks (Kingston HyperX 4GB 80=
0mhz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 (5-5-5-15) DIMM) onto my AMD 64 system with a X2 5200=
 CPU. The motherboard I have in this system is MSI K9AG Neo2-Digital.

The system boots fine and I wanted to try memtest to see if there would be =
errors. So I installed that /usr/ports/sysutils/memtest port and did=20

# memtest 2400

The output I got is:
Continuing with unlocked memory; testing will be slower and less reliable.

pagesize 4096
pagesizemask is 0xfffffffffffff000
want 2400MB (2516582400 bytes)
got=A0=A0 2400MB (2516582400 bytes), trying mlock .......failed for unknown=
 reason
Loop 1:

In my /etc/rc/conf file I had added these lines in the past (when I had 4gb=
 RAM installed in it)

sysctl -w kern.ipc.shmmax=3D1954311424
sysctl -w kern.ipc.shmall=3D238000

What is the case here? Why is memtest failing to use mlock? How can I event=
ually make sure I can run memtest with 8000mb?=20

The purpose of this machine is that it will be used for a various data inte=
nsive tasks where I need to be able to allocate as much memory possible. I =
am running a postgresql database server on it as well to store my source da=
ta.

Brgds
Dino
=0A=0A=0A