Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 13:38:47 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Two IDE controllers better than one?

Hi,

<background>

I have an IDE controller built in to my IO card. It is one of these
starnge arrangments where the mother board is in two bits - one has the
processor, RAM etc and the other has all the IO stuff built in (video,
sio, lpt, FDD, HDD etc). The board origianlly came with a 386-SX-16 so you
get the idea about the sort of age (its an IPEX if thats any help). I now
have a 486DX-25 board to add to the IO part.

I also have a ISA multi-IO card (new last year but cheap) with a HD
controller. Part of my HD is unusable due to bad blocks and so to get
enough space for FBSD I need two drives.

<end of background>

The question is - is it better (ie faster, take less RAM, whatever) to
connect each drive to a seperate controller or (perhaps because of the age
of the builtin contorller, is it better to stick them both on the multi IO
card which appears to allow two drives to be connected (the motherboard
controller only allows one)?

Should I just try both and run a benchmark and see what I come up with?

Thanks,

Andrew