Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:53:11 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1016394792.5aff24@mired.org>
To:        Jacques Beigbeder <Jacques.Beigbeder@ens.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: any philosophy to install XFree86?

Jacques Beigbeder <Jacques.Beigbeder@ens.fr> types:
> May be it's a FAQ...

Nope.

> Is there any philosophy to install X11R6 on a FreeBSD 4.5?
> There are 3 sources:
> . 4.5-RELEASE/XF86336, old Xfree86 3.3.6;
> . XFree86*4.1.0*.tgz ( from packages-4.5-release/x11 );
> . the distribution from ftp.xfree86.org (now 4.1.2).
>
> Is there any preferred order and choice to get a good installation,
> relatively to all packages and dependencies?

I'd install either the old one or the package, depending on which
supported your video card. If the answer is that both support it, then
install the old one if you're short memory, otherwise the new one.

If you install XFree86 4.whatever, set XFREE86_VERSION=4 in
/etc/make.conf before installing any other X ports.

	<mike