Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 18:23:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Subject:   Bandwidth limiter available

Ok guys, i have added all features i wanted to the dummynet package
(a bandwidth limiter and testing tool), and now it should be safe
to use. What i need is people testing it other than me... so why
don't you fetch a copy and try it ?

Description and diffs for 2.2.6 are at
    http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/

and hopefully the port to other versions should be straightforward.
Because it is configured with "ipfw", its use should be simple. E.g.
consider a web server with multiple aliases, you can allocate bandwidth
in the following way:

	# first virtual server...
	ipfw pipe 1 config bw 256Kbit/s
	ipfw add pipe 1 ip from my-alias-1 port 80 to any
	# second virtual server...
	ipfw pipe 2 config bw 128Kbit/s
	ipfw add pipe 2 ip from my-alias-2 port 80 to any
	# third virtual server...
	ipfw pipe 3 config bw 64Kbit/s
	ipfw add pipe 3 ip from my-alias-3 port 80 to any
	# make ICMP packets very slow...
	ipfw pipe 4 config bw 16Kbit/s delay 200ms
	ipfw add pipe 3 icmp from any to any

and for simulation purposes, if you want to see the effect of a
peculiar asymmetric line:

	ipfw pipe 5 config bw 2Mbit/s delay 100ms # downlink
	ipfw pipe 6 config bw 128Kbit/s delay 300ms # uplink
	ipfw add pipe 5 ip from not my_ip to my_ip
	ipfw add pipe 6 ip from my_ip to any

have fun...

	cheers
	luigi