Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:47:15 -0600
From:      "Allan Ross" <allanr@ssimicro.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Roy Bettle" <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
Subject:   Newbie pointers from Fellow Newbie (was: Idiot seeks brain.)

<snip>

> Damn ...
>
> I've read just about every message that's gone through for the past 3
> weeks or so (since I joined the list), and basically I wish I could
> borrow one of your brains for just a little bit while I figure out how
> to back-up/restore your UNIX/*BSD experience into my poor,
> Micro$haft-muddled brain.
>
> Where do I go to start *at the beginning*?  I need to better understand
> the background/culture/norms of the *BSD community.  I see these notes
> going back and forth discussing "motif" and "ssh" and "tsk" and other
> similar (programs?) and I feel like a blind man in a room full of
> expensive, breakable objects that everyone else can see and understand.

</snip>

Not too long ago, I was where you are now. I like to think I have made
some progress. It helps that our ISP manager is a GURU at this stuff so
after hammering at it all weekend I can come in on a Monday and ask him
where I've screwed up.

Your best bet to start is http://www.freebsd.org/handbook. This is the
basic "what-is/how-to guide" and I learned a hell of a lot from it.

You might also want to invest a little cash in "The Complete FreeBSD" by
Greg Lehey. You may notice he answers a LOT of questions in the mailing
lists (thanks Greg!) and the book is EXCELLENT!. You can order it from
Walnut Creek. It comes, by the way, with 4 CDs, FreeBSD with all the
ports and more.

Hope that helps you get into it!