Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:29:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        harry@visiontm.com (Harry Patterson)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP and Telnet pblms with Ethernet

Harry Patterson asked:
> Another reader had the same question. This certainly makes sense, but
> (please exuse a newbie to FreeBSD) the Win95 box doesn't run DNS. What needs
> to be set where in Win95 to allow the reverse DNS to take place. It pings

Nothing needs to be setup in Win95 to allow reverse DNS; this has to be
configured at your DNS server.  A "forward" lookup is "find me the
address for this name", an "reverse" lookup is "find me the name for
this address."

> fine. Do I need the win95 dns settings in tcp/ip (sounds like a dumb
> question with the direction you are heading). Are these dns settings created
> automatically by win95 dial up networking when you connect through an isp?

The ISP would have to have setup their DNS server to support both types
of lookups.  If you're experiencing problems, they probably haven't.
Try this: dial in and check your IP address.  We'll assume you were
given the address 204.203.202.201, because it's fun to type.  Login to
a good UNIX system somewhere and type 'nslookup -type=ptr
204.203.202.201'.  If you get an name back quickly, and can 'nslookup
name' and get 204.203.202.201 as the IP address, you're correctly
configured.  If not, your ISP is at fault and needs to fix their DNS
server.

As several others have pointed out, the reason ping and http work
quickly is because they are not doing reverse DNS lookups.  If you want
to really test your ability to do reverse DNS, try logging into
ftp.uu.net as user 'anonymous'.  If they let you login, you're probably
doing just fine.  ;^)