Date:      02 Aug 2000 17:33:33 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail port, where for art thou?

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 01:29:53PM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> >
> > How about CVSup, and make world?

> The `make world' idea is a nice thing, but it will probably leave a few
> things out.  So, let me see if I can come up with a more detailed list
> of things to do in order to restore sendmail.
>
> Unless you are erasing your /usr/obj tree after a successful run of
> `make installworld' like I am doing almost all the time, you could just:
>
> 	# cd /usr/src
> 	# make installworld
>
> and all the binaries for sendmail will be put in the right place [ that
> is, unless you have NO_SENDMAIL=yes in your /etc/make.conf ].

Giorgos, Thanks for  your informative letter.  It seems  to cover most
pitfalls.  Coming from a linux  backgroup I haven't any experience yet
with cvsup, buildworld and that whole process.  I opted for an Upgrade
install.  It  did much the same  thing you suggested.   And there were
only  a few things  to tidy  up.  Redoing  a working  sendmail.cf. And
getting the last of qmail obliterated.

I rm'ed /usr/src/ before the upgrade thinking that would all be
replaced if I chose  the `developer' packages.  Turns out that didn't
replace the stuff under /usr/src/contrib.  I did that manually.  By
following directions in the Handbook sendmail section where it
describes how to get the configuration sources.

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html
Q: How do I use sendmail for mail delivery with UUCP?

I'm not using UUCP, but there are good directions there for
configuring sendmail.

> Then, you have to restore the configuration files of sendmail and
> related programs, such as mailwrapper, in /etc.  Things that I would
> check out include:

The stock mailwrapper config seems oK here.

> *   If you're using mailwrapper, then you might have to copy a new
>     mailer.conf in /etc/mail and edit it appropriatelly.
>
> *   Check out if inetd.conf includes a line that fires up qmail-smtpd.
>     This can stop your sendmail from binding port 25 for receiving
>     incoming mail through SMTP.

This one did prove to be a pain in the but at first.  Couldn't figure
out why sendmail couldn't bind an address.  Finally I remembered
messing with inetd.conf as regards qmail. and commented it out.   All
working now.