Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:00:50 +1100
From:      Sam Lawrance <samuel.lawrance@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au>
To:        Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org, Sam Lawrance <lawrance@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/87984: net/samba3 registers phantom dependencies

On 15/11/2005, at 2:42 AM, Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2005, at 6:45 AM, Sam Lawrance wrote:
>

>> These are normal packaging dependencies.  All dependencies of a
>> package are registered; not just the immediate dependencies
>> listed in the port.
>>

> If that were the case, then why were those ports listed as
> dependencies not actually installed on my system?  I know that a
> port lists the dependencies of all of the ports on which it
> depends, and that is normal.  In this case, there are dependencies
> that do not exist on my system, and never have.  Besides none of
> the other ports on my system list them as dependencies, only samba3
> does.

On 6.0 release here

- pkg_add -r samba3 - installs those dependencies as expected
- cd /usr/ports/net/samba3 && make install - same
- portupgrade sees all the dependencies correctly

I think it is a possibility that those packages have been removed
from your system at some stage.  portupgrade -fR samba3 should bring
them back.