Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 01:39:17 +0800
From:      "Boon Hoo" <theebh@magix.com.sg>
To:        <schwenk@math.udel.edu>, "Boon Hoo" <theebh@magix.com.sg>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Problem installing ports

Hi, thanks for your informative reply.

I checked the cd-rom that i burned from the ISO image, and the "ports"
directory contains a package.tgz file. Perhaps i should unzip it?
Btw, what is the difference between the files in the 'ports/distfiles'
directory and the 'ports/i386/packages' directory (as seen on
ftp.freebsd.org)?

> FreeBSD (and the other BSD UNIX(TM)es) use simpler startup scripts,
> mostly in the /etc directory.  See /etc/rc and /etc/rc.* scripts.
> There's also /etc/defaults/rc.conf (default startup parameters) and
> /etc/rc.conf (local custom startup parameters) config files that the
> startup scripts use to guide startup behaviour.

It seems Linux's way of organising startup files is easier(but then again,
i haven't really use freebsd much yet). For e.g., i notice that by default
freebsd starts the sendmail daemon after installation. Where should i look
for to disable sendmail from starting? In linux, it's just changing a 'S'
to 'K'...

P.S: Coming from linux background, it sure takes some time for me to adapt
to a new OS. Something like "migrating from linux" faq (as seen on OpenBSD
site)
would be excellent:)

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan