Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 17:50:14 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frame Relay and FreeBSD

Louis continues...

>No, you're missing the point.
>
>In my original message I pointed out that the cost of a dedicated
>Ascend Pipeline 50 LS56 is very close if not cheaper than the cost of
>the synchronous interface for a PC platform and the associated
>external CSU/DSU.
>
>The moving parts refer to the disk drive in the PC that loads the OS
>that makes the interface do anything useful.  If you only have one
>machine, then the failure of the disk isn't any big deal.  If, on the
>other hand, you have a local ethernet with a handful of machines on
>it, why would you tie their functioning to a realtively delicate
>platform with moving parts?

But your router DOESNT DO A DAMN THING (sorry) without a server,
so you still need a host with moving parts....so you're saving nothing.

>You only need a working CSU/DSU that conforms to the relevant Bellcore
>specs.  I don't know why you'd believe the external CSU/DSUs are more
>reliable since they all use the same VLSI these days.

Im glad that its that easy. All products are created equal, so just buy the
cheapest thing available. Simple world you have.

Standalone enclosures are more reliable, its easier to resolve problems,
almost always have more features, and dont have the heat and noise issues
that  "integrated" ones. Integrated ones have  space limitations so they often
leave out protection circuitry in external ones.

>It absolutely is more reliable; the performance of your entire network
>doesn't depend on the functioning of a UNIX box with disk drives, etc.
>When there's a power failure, I don't want the connectivity to my
>network to fail until someone comes along and types 'fsck -y' on the
>console to reboot the gateway.

Too bad for your customers. My UNIX gateway's been up since August without a
crash.
But I guess a slower, more costly  solution would make me feel better :-)

db
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX