Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:32:27 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Childers <gchil0@pop.uky.edu>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

> Except that ATA currently does not work on my system.  So I assume I'm not
> the only one.

Actually, to quote from your original message:

] According to technical product summary, the primary IDE interface, on
] which both my drives reside, is a PCTech RZ1000 on the PCI local bus.

Nobody in their right mind uses the RZ1000 chipset for IDE.  It's one of
the classic "broken" parts (along with several of the CMD64x family) that
you just don't use.

You're probably not the only one out there with one of these controllers,
but there aren't anywhere near that many of them still circulating after
the massive problems that were encountered with that part _many_ years
ago.

> I am not a developer but I am running current on a test
> system to see what's in line for stable.  I do not mind when things break
> for a while.  But, since others did not seem to have this problem, I sent
> an email to the list. The link is below.  So far, I've heard no word, and
> things are still broken.  For this reason, I'd like wd to stay in the tree
> until ATA is fixed.  Otherwise, my machine is unusable.

I'm not really in a position to determine what will or won't happen
regarding support for known-defective hardware like the RZ1000 or the
CMD640, but I'd say that it's likely to receive fairly low-priority
treatment.

It's not, of course, clear from your message whether the problem is
actually related to the RZ1000 part itself, or whether it's actually a
manifestation of the "system goes nowhere at startup" problem that other
people are seeing (seems to be related to interrupt handling by the 'ata'
driver).