Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:43:11 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
Cc:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK ports questions

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 05:55:44PM +0200, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> ???????? Wednesday 19 March 2008 17:34:01 ??/?? Oliver Fromme ????????????:
> > Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> >  > Oliver Fromme wrote:
> >  > > What is the difference between ports/java/diablo-jdk15
> >  > > and ports/java/jdk15?  Which of them should be used?
> >  >
> >  > ports/java/diablo-jdk15 is the ports way of installing the
> >  > binary package, you can do the same with pkg_add -r.
> >
> > I see.  So I basically get the same result as downloading
> > the package from freebsdfoundation.org (which is not what
> > I want).
> >
> > Thanks for answering!
> >
> >  > > So far I have only used the Sun-blessed binary package
> >  > > from the FreeBSD foundation download page, so I don't
> >  > > know much about the various ports.  However, those
> >  > > packages are now quite old, so I would like to build
> >  > > an up-to-date JDK for FreeBSD 7.  Which port should
> >  > > be used for that?
> >  >
> >  > For FreeBSD 7.0, you will have to install misc/compat6x
> >
> > But it's only required for the bootstrap, right?
> > I.e. when I have built the JDK successfully, I don't
> > need compat6x anymore, I assume.
> >

> No, the diablo-jdk1.5.0 executable depends on
> /usr/local/lib/compat/libpthread.so.2 which is in compat6x-i386
>
> Bootstrap issues exist when you need e.g. a linux jdk in order to compile
> the java classes of the FreeBSD native port. In that case you install the
> linux-jdk-whatever, build/install the native port, pkg_deintall the linux-jdk-...
>
> For some reason, now that i look at it, compat6x is not recorded as
> a prerequisite for diablo-jdk1.5.0,

If you installed with the packages from the Foundation site rather than
the port then those packages were rolled on a 6.x machine before 7.0
existed, so naturally they wouldn't have that dependency.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org