Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 21:13:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nathan Lawson <nlawson@kdat.csc.calpoly.edu>
To:        gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu (Gene Stark)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xt Vulnerability and suggested exec patch

> This is the worst one yet for me.  A crazy idea occurred to me, what do
> other people think?  Why not nip all this stuff in the bud by changing the
> semantics of exec() so that setuid privilege is turned off unless the
> program has previously executed a (new) system call that says "I really
> want setuid privileges to be passed to my children."

No.  Since this is an overflow problem, the exploiter can execute arbitrary
assembly code on the target.  This can be any system call and the OS has no
way of knowing whether the program wishes to make this call or has been
subverted to do so.

In your proposed OS, the assembly code would be "exec /bin/sh, and yes, I do
want setuid privileges passed to my children."

--
Nate Lawson                  "There are a thousand hacking at the branches of
CPE Senior                    evil to one who is striking at the root."