Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:11:39 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        "Thompson, Jimi" <JimiT@mail.cox.smu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Award BIOS Upgrade Fees - Slightly Offtopic

Thompson, Jimi wrote:

>I just encountered what I consider to be a totally outrageous problem.
>I've got a system with a BIOS issue.  The motherboard maker has decided
>to use Award's BIOS and they want a minimum of $39.95 to email me the
>BIOS update that I need to fix the system.

So why haven't you named-and-shamed them?

My experience of BIOS updates is that they appear free on the
manufacturer's website.  If I thought a motherboard manufacturer would
do otherwise, I would avoid them.

Not much help you you, finding this out in retrospect, of course.

Does the US have consumer legislation which protects you against
products which are not "fit for purpose"?  In the UK, that's certainly
the tack I'd try.  Send me the BIOS update or give me my money back.

Good luck,

--Alex