Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:02:33 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        aryeh.friedman@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing partition size by removing partitions

> I have a disk that is laid out with partion 0 being NTFS and 1
> being FreeBSD.  I want to remove the NTFS partition and grow the
> FreeBSD one but all the docs I have seen only talk about how to
> do this if the new part of the partition is at the end of the
> partition you wish to grow.  How do I go about this?

Partition Commander is aware of *BSD partitions and should be able
to do this.  (Granted it is payware.)

Delete the NTFS partition, move the FreeBSD partition (slice in
FreeBSD parlance) to the beginning of the drive, boot into FreeBSD
to make sure everything is working, then go ahead with the grow
operation as usual.

As always, it's highly recommended to make a full backup first.
Having done that, it may be easier to reslice the disk as FreeBSD
only and then restore the backup.