Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 1995 07:53:54 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        chuckr@eng.umd.edu, kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, patl@asimov.volant.org
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, hackers@freebsd.org, julian@ref.tfs.com, ports@freebsd.org, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> The run levels seem have fairly standard meanings - PLEASE stick with
> the level definitions as used by Solaris, HP-UX, etc.  There is no
> excuse for gratuituous incompatability.

Personally, I really liked the BSD way of starting up, rather than the
SysV method, but since it looks like people are trying to merge the
two families, so be it...

> The files generally have fairly clear names, and they all live in
> /etc/init.d.  The rc* directories only contain symlinks to the file
> in init.d, and the symlinks are clearly named.

Yuk. One sub-directory of /etc being used just to have symlinks to
another sub-directory of /etc?

If you want to use seperate sub-directories for each "run-level"
then use the seperate scripts in each directory, so all someone
has to do to find where something is being run is

	grep mumbled /etc/rc.*/*

With the directories named something like "rc.0", "rc.1", ...

Then if you want to have other startup directories scatter throughout
the system (personally the idea dislikes me), you can symlink from
the normal starting place to wherever on other file systems.

In other words, keep it simple.

And while we're on the subject of completely reworking /etc, how
about a "inet" directory which holds (as seperate files) all the
network specific config files, such as host name, ip-addresses,
resolv.conf, ...

Why? So if you are doing cookie-cutter installs on lots of systems,
you go through that one directory to change everything there, and
leave everything else in /etc alone.

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 11 Carver St, Nashua, NH  03060
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...