Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 1996 23:40:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Douglas MacDonald <geckograf@seldon.terminus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Mon, 1 Jan 1996, Douglas MacDonald wrote:

> Howdy Happy New Year I have FreeBSDv2.0.5 on cdrom from Walnut Creek.

Return that and get the 2.1 RELEASE CD if possible.  2.1 is much
superior, and has an edge change of getting your IDE cdrom working.

> my floppy drive. Can I install from the tape back up (given of course that
> I copy all the files from the cdrom to the tapes, which I've done)?

If you can make tar archives to the tape you can, ie using another unix
box, not Microsoft Backup :-)

> the minimum directory to my partition which I hope to install freebsd on. At
> one point I tried to install from the hard drive, but was unsuccessful.

Welcome to the club (although that should have gotten somewhere)...

> Question: Without the address's resolved prior to installation will an
> attempted installation of freebsd screw up the currently installed operating
> systems. Is the worst that could happen is that I would have to re-install
> anew Win95 and os2? Does the installation of FreeBsd change the internal
> addressing system? Does my question reveal my ignorance of computer hardware?

It really depends.  I have a similar configuration, using Boot Manager
between a OS/2, DOS, and FreeBSD partitions.  Because I have an extended
partition, however, my slice table is at the max of 4, so I could not add
another operating system.  I think you're OK, just as long as you don't
have two DOS primary partitions.

Using BM you can install fbsd on a second disk, and have BM recognize
it.  This is how I am operating right now.

> Last question: Have you heard of the software utility called
> "System Commander 2.1" by V Communications? Supposedly it assist's the
> user in setting up multiple operating systems on one hard drive. Any feed
> back will be appreciated, unless you laugh hysterically at my query. Thanxs
> in advance Doug MacDonald

Someone else mentioned it, I think it's functionally equivalent to the
Boot Manager.  BM works great, stick with it :-)

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant