Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 13:18:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@freebsd.org (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

> dennis wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking about a $600. solution in reasonable quantities (about $250.
> > for the TA and $350. for the card and software). Better than ISDN card
>
> I think you're being pretty optimistic about the cost of the TA..  And
> why so much for the card?  You're telling me it costs more to make a
> sync serial card than a reasonably high quality TA?

Quite possibly  :-)  I do not find it hard to believe that it costs a lot to
produce a "niche" product.

Dennis is, however, comparing apples and pumpkins, because he is quoting
$250 on one hand for a sync TA, and $650 (the price you paid) for an async
TA, when the truth is more like $260 for an inexpensive async TA such as the
Bitsurfer.

Given a sufficiently inexpensive sync serial card, physical control of both
ends of the link (so that you don't have somebody charging you a fortune for
the privilege of doing sync serial on a router port, etc), I think it could
be a really good solution.  I would do it myself.  :-)

However, I do not see it as being practical for a large number of people.
For the reasons previously stated.

... Joe