Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:25:52 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does "Voxware still supported in 4.0" mean exactly?

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> Microsoft is a company with billions of dollars in assets.  FreeBSD is
> almost entirely volunteer supported,
FreeBSD has billions of bits in assets.
But the price of a bit isn't what it used to be. :-)

> and those few people in active
> FreeBSD employ are not paid to work on audio support.  If Microsoft is
> therefore unable or unwilling to continue to support old hardware,

Actually. M$S never really "supported" the devices. They made the vendors
GIVE them the drivers. As a result, the unsupported devices are mostly
because the VENDOR doesn't support the old hardware.

M$S moves forward with their development just as FreeBSD does.
The device support is "up for grabs".
As a hardware vendor, why should I continue to support old hardware?
There is profit only in additional sales. The original sales price never
included years of "support".

I only wish that the vendors would release technical info on unsupported
hardware.

But that would reduce the market for new hardware. :-(