Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 01:50:13 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, dgl@bsdi.com, papowell@astart.com, ceren@magnesium.net, ryan@ryan.net, murray@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: Splitting the Handbook

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 at 19:55:06 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> This has been on the cards for ages.
>
> IMHO, the Handbook, as it stands, is unwieldy.  It's too big, it
> tries to cater to too many audiences (someone installing FreeBSD,
> someone using FreeBSD, someone trying to develop with FreeBSD, someone
> who wants to hack on FreeBSD), and there's no one person that 'owns'
> it.

Indeed.

> I want to break the Handbook up in to smaller chunks.  We're doing
> this already -- the recent creation of the Porter's Handbook reflects
> this, as does the work that Jeroen's doing on the Developer's
> Handbook.
>
> [ In fact, if rumour is to be believed, Jim Mock spent most of last
>   night locked in his hotel room putting together a "New Users
>   Handbook" -- given the amount of alcohol on offer that's
>   dedication. ]

I almost finished it that night too ;-P  I've since added the ``Unix
Basics'' chapter to it.  The HTML output is available at
http://soupnazi.org/~jim/FreeBSD/newuser-handbook/ and the source is
available at http://soupnazi.org/~jim/FreeBSD/newuser.tgz.  Feedback is
welcome.

> I also think this would make the job of merging in documentation from
> other projects (and, in particular, forming a "BSD Documentation
> Project") considerably easier.

Agreed.

- jim

--
/* jim mock - berkeley software design, inc - open source division */
/* documentation manager - jim@FreeBSD.org - jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com */