Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:40:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scott B. Gale" <scott@doheny.beach.net>
To:        "Randy B. Lim" <randy.lim@aht.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to change the tape size in the dump command

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Randy B. Lim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got a 30 GB IDE tape (/dev/nht0) and I want to dump 4GB /root partition to
> the tape. How to use the dump command to let the 4GB dumped to one single
> tape?

If the -a "auto-size" option isn't working to get dump to size the tape
properly you can use the -B option to specify how many 1k blocks the tape
will hold.  For instance, to do a level zero backup of my root partition
(with device name /dev/da0s1a) onto a 30 GB tape in device /dev/nht0 I
would use the following command:

dump -0u -B 30000000 -f /dev/nht0 /dev/da0s1a

I've been told it is generally better practice to use the device name to
specify the root partition rather than "/".  You can get the device name
by using the df command.

> Best Regards,
>
> -Randy

Hope this helps!