Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:29:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Password verification (Was: cvs commit: ports/x11/kdebase - Imported sources)

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> > > Is it restricted to only let a user check his own password?  Or could
> > > we make it only check a users own password fairly easily?
> >
> >   How would that be useful?
>
> Security.  If a user can check other people's passwords, he can
> brute-force passwords.  If he can't, he can't.  :-)

  Who said that they could?  The pwcheck daemon only allows specific
users to check passwords.  This is much better.

  In your scheme, only a process running as user xyz can check the
password for xyz.  However, how did the process get to run as xyz?
Probably a root process doing a setuid().  The pwcheck scheme does not
require _anything_ to run as root.

  See my web server example.  Web servers typically run as a "www" user.
Using pwcheck, I can allow the "www" to verify password.  In your scheme,
I would have to let the web server run as root, in order to setuid() to a
user, and then check the password.

> Eivind.

Tom