Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 14:38:29 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

>dennis wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking about a $600. solution in reasonable quantities (about $250.
>> for the TA and $350. for the card and software). Better than ISDN card
>
>I think you're being pretty optimistic about the cost of the TA..

Motorola T/As can be gotten for that number now.

>  And
>why so much for the card?  You're telling me it costs more to make a
>sync serial card than a reasonably high quality TA?

I think that Motorola sells a few more T/As than I sell cards. Plus you need
some room for
resellers. These unix guys buy 1 at a time and want quantity 100 prices, and
then I have to set it
up for them because they don't have a tiny clue on how to do anything. If
you call me up
and I'm only making $100. on you, I don't have time to talk to you. You call
Motorola
and you get some $12. an hour techie, you call ET and you get the guy that
wrote the
software. It doesn't sound that exciting, but supporting FreeBSD has a
tremendous overhead
considering that the potential market is tiny (compared to Windows, for
example). The big guys
can't even recover development costs on BSD type Unixes, which is why they
won't touch it. I've recently lowered my prices, and I'm selling a lot more
product at a lower profit. I may lose on the deal..as its a major pain in
the butt to fill the orders and handle the extra customer support. I
certainly don't want 1000 guys buying cheap cards and calling me up or
sending them back because they can't make them work.

Maybe I can call forward my tech support line to your house and we can do a
deal?

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25