Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 22:29:56 -0700
From:      Mike Campbell <madragoran@avendesora.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   What are my options PC164 and Symbios 53C895

I just purchased a PC164 board and 500mHz processor to build an alpha system with, and I was hoping to use my symbios 53c895 to boot a seagate cheetahlvd hard drive.  Everything I've seen so far (including HARDWARE.TXT) says it probably wont be recognized by the SRM (although I saw 1 post to the contrary)  I don't have the board yet, so I havn't tested it.  If it doesn't get recognized, what options do I have?  I have 2 seagate lvd cheetahs that I'd really like to use at their full potential, ie U2W,LVD.  Can I set up to boot my installed sytem off floppies??  Inconvenient i imagine, butr then again I don't reboot much.

I also have a cdrom and a cdwriter that I would want to put on a second scsi bus - Right now in linux i386 I have them on an advansys, but I also have available a buslogic flashpoint.  I didn't see these in the alpha hardware list; is this just because they are not bootable, or are they not at all usable?

Thank's for your help! I hope I can get this going, and not have to add to the pile of hardware I already have!

Mike