Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:48:44 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good wireless card for -current?

> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 02:03:50 -0800 (PST)
> From: Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I need a recommendation for a good wireless card for -current. Fast is
> good, cheap is good (but I don't mind paying a little more for fast). I'd
> like something that'll do promiscuous mode, and more hardware crypto is
> better. Of course, known to work well with -current is a "need to have."

Doug,

I believe any Prism 2 or Prism 2.5 card (which includes cards from
D-Link, Netgear, Intel, Intersil, and Linksys) should work well. I have
not tried my Orinoco Gold card, but I am less confident of it.

The D-Link DWL-650 (but not the 650+), the Netgear MA401, the Intel
PRO/Wireless and the Linksys WPC11 are examples. I am currently using
the Intel on my system.

Of course, just about every vendor has some history of changing the chip
used without changing model numbers, so there are no guarantees that you
won't wind up with some mystery chip in a product that works for others.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)