Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 2009 04:47:25 -0400
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Fritz <fkolberg@q.com>, questions@freebsd.org, Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
Subject:   Re: Modern FreeBSD Installer?

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> Let me state this: correct screen detection is already a problem
> with "the big" X, how should "a small" installer get this right
> with its limited resources? Mind this: The installer runs in a
> very limited setting, while X can rely on an already running
> system.

Yesterday I was installing a CentOS 5.3  Linux distribution in GUI mode .

It detected monitor maximum size correctly ( 1920 x 1440 ) ,
but set the monitor mode to 1600 x 1200 while display was in 1920 x 1440
without screen border sliders .  Click area for Back and Next was the bottom
right corner of the
screen which they were not visible .

I wondered what will be result of install . By changing zoom values of
monitor
( Installer was assuming that screen settings are conforming to each other )

I could manage to squeeze 1920 x 1440 screen size into 1600 x 1200 screen
size
( setting of factory defaults of monitor did not help )  .

Arrangement of monitor settings took longer than installation itself .

Ideas that GUI is NOT better than text based installs is VALID .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk