Date:      Sun, 03 Jan 1999 12:21:13 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        peter@netplex.com.au, mike@smith.net.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make aout-to-elf failures (from 2.2.7-RELEASE to -current ELF)

> I have a -current system that just completed an aout 'make world' from
> sources of about 19990102 1400 PST.

Is this the SMP system you were holding back with?  If so, I'm very
happy to hear it came through alright.  At this phase, I would be
strongly recommending that you look at migrating to ELF.  There's a very
succinct and AFAIK still accurate description of the process at the top
of src/Makefile, which hopefully should answer any questions you have on
this topic.

> I am in the midst of updating the bootblocks.  I have two SCSI disks,
> da0 is WINNT and da1 is -current.  I am currently using OS-BS.  I am
> reading in the archives, attempting to upgrade.  So far, I have
> backed-up and made new boot and fixit floppies.

Note that you can refrain from updating the bootblocks until you
convert to an ELF kernel; before that point there's no need to convert.

> I found in the archives:
>
> cp /usr/mdec/boot? /boot

Aigh!  I don't know where you got that one from, but definitely don't
do that.  /boot is populated directly by an ELF 'make world'.

> echo '/boot/loader' > /boot.config
> disklabel -B bootdevices
>
> Also a reference to make in /sys/boot.
>
> Will 'make && make install' in /sys/boot do all that is needed?

Not in an a.out world.  Once you have completed the a.out to ELF
conversion, /boot will be correctly populated.

> Any pointers to doc's on upgrade the bootblocks?

There have been some succinct descriptions past here on -current in the
last day or so; if in doubt, listen to everything that Robert Nordier
has had to say.  He wrote the replacement boot0/1/2 modules as well as
the really nasty bits of the loader, and can generally be counted on to
be right about what's going on.