Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 02:27:57 -0500
From:      "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Subject:   Re: lastest kernel from cvs ( sh exists with signal 8 )

Ok, fair enough.  I have to confess that my usual procedure remains,
as it has been for a long time, like this:

1) rm -r /usr/include; cd /usr/src; make includes

This may be controversial, but it has always worked for me, and although
it's not supposed to (in my understanding), the build (I think both world
and kernel) does use installed headers.  If you don't think so, mv
/usr/include and then try to build either.

2) cd usr.sbin/config; make obj && make depend && make && make install

3) config and build kernel

4) make buildworld

5) install kernel

6) make installworld

7) update /etc if necessary

8) reboot

Here lately, I have been trying to break this cycle and use the

1) make buildworld

2) make buildkernel

3) make installkernel

4) make installworld

5) reboot

cycle instead, since I have been assured that this is the canonical
way of doing things now.  It appears that these pronouncements were
premature at best.