Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 19:46:43 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        jrclark@felix.iupui.edu, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FAQ Contribution

> I'm afraid I have to be critical as well here.  With utmost resepect
> to Misters Palmer and Hubbard, the ports section could certainly use
> some work to make it more tutorial and less meandering.  It reads like

No insult taken, the ports document sucks.  In fact, pretty much all
the ports documentation sucks, from the "how ports work" to the "how
to make a port" guides - it was all written ad-hoc and nobody took
care to sit down and really think about what the ports collection was,
how the average user might approach it, how the seasoned one might get
more aquainted with it, etc and so forth.  However, the ports
collection just sort of grew along with the feature list in
bsd.port.mk and the documentation reflects this.

This needs a complete rewrite, using the same kind of up-front design
philosophy as John suggests for the supported hardware guide.
I'd *WELCOME* such an effort!

					Jordan