Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 09:03:52 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reasonable decision-making [Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!]

In message <2590.944896819@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
>> The ATA driver went golden now, and to make sure nobody is distracted
>> from testing it before 4.0-RELEASE is cut, the wd driver will be
>> removed.
>>
>> It's really that simple.
>
>Well, I'm not sure that's really true yet and I would honestly prefer
>it if you wouldn't make "conclusive statements" like this without
>waiting for a reasonable period of time, *after* the flame war in
>progress has died down and everyone's done venting and flapping their
>arms, to come to a decision with all the "votes" carefully weighed
>(and appropriately weighted).
>
>To do otherwise would send a strong message that your intention was to
>procede regardless of public opinion, which would further imply that
>the more consensus-based process of deciding these things somehow does
>not apply to you.

I am keeping very close track of the messages from people who report
problems with the new drivers, but I am totally ignoring the noise
by people who "just on principle" are against this move.

>In any case, the Real Issue here appears to be whether or not it's
>necessary to socially engineer people by removing the wd driver one
>week after the ata driver was declared "golden" or whether it's
>perhaps more prudent to simply leave the damn thing there for now and
>just stop maintaining it, leaving its future to Darwin and/or some
>future committer who takes an axe to it because it's rotted for so
>long that it finally no longer even builds and/or functions at all.
>All other discussion has been more or less tangental to that issue.

Unless we break kernel configs with the wd driver in it, we will
never get rid of it.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!