Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 1996 13:32:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Colin Ryan <drop@lglobal.com>
To:        mika ruohotie <bsdisp@shadows.aeon.net>
Cc:        dror@dnai.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to solve the news server problem

On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, mika ruohotie wrote:

Dont' mean to sound highbrow or anything as I'm not doing
anything special with news but wasn't there a large
discussion about these "sucking feeds" a while back.

Seems to me that solutions exsist but It depends on the situations
like how many/who are you crossfeeding to etc etc.

> > Hi folks,
> > 3000 users I've never seen more than 30 concurrent readers
> > on our news server. Our server runs on :
> > 128 Meg memory
> > 4 Quantum XP34300W (Fast wide 4Gig) Yes, I know 8 2 Gigs would be better.
> > Pentium 133
> >
> > Response time is fine, but not spectacular. I suspect that the next
> > step for speedup would be for us to have separate reader and feed
> > machines. Right now this machine connect to 4 other ISPs to send
> > and receive news.
>
> even machine like that cant handle news too well nowadays? outch. since i
> was planning running news on machine with about 10-12 2gig ultra wide
> drives, with 256megs of ram and p166 or pro200... but it seems to me
> that might be futile...
>
> > I believe that my news server is spending most of its time receiving,
> > writing to disk, organizing, and then removing files that NONE OF
> > MY USERS WILL EVER LOOK AT. To put it another way, the reason that
>
> indeed.
>
> how about running the news on sgi challenge s?
>
> i've heard there's news software available for sgi machiens that actually
> doesnt neccessarry keep the unread groups on disk, when someone accesses
> those groups, the software grabs those groups from the servers feeding
> the machine... am i right? anyone more knowledge about this?
>
> is there anyone familiar with the challenge s machines? the price doesnt
> sound too bad, since it's only a little more than pro200, and has faster
> bus and stuff... i could think the first place where the pc hardware loses
> most _is_ the "slow" bus speed, coz you can drag only 132mbytes of stuff
> cross the ethernets (possibly multiple interfaces) and scsi's (again
> possibly multiple interfaces)
>

> mickey
> --
>     mika ruohotie     mika@aeon.net       net/sys admin

| Colin P. Ryan                  \!/                         Cyber- |
| Local GlobalAccess Inc.....More than Just a Provider!      Rights |
| 320 1/2 Bloor St. W. Toronto. ON                           NOW !! |
| e:drop@lglobal.com				Phone: (416)515-7400|