Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:06:26 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: After CVSup...Permission Denied

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 08:57:43AM -0800, Tom Kersten wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I have 2 questions concerning the CVSup Process:
>=20
> 1.)I recently CVSup'ed my ports, docs, and src...it
> worked fine but the ports have root-only permission
> now. It isn't a real big deal because I am the only
> main user of the system, but is this how it is
> supposed to work? Or do I need to set a different
> "umask" somehow to allow regular users access to the
> ports?

Yes; try setting it in your ~/.cshrc or ~/.login

> Also, when I try to "make search" as a regular
> user it gives me the:
> "make search: don't know how to make search" error...

Which directory did you type it in?  It's a function of the ports
collection makefile, so you have to be in /usr/port.

> 2.)After the CVSup finished I installed the new kernel
> and ran the following commands to realign teh kvm
> library (as suggested in "The Complete FreeBSD"):
> #cd /usr/src/lib/libkvm
> #make all install clean
> #cd /usr/src/bin/ps
> #make all install clean
>=20
> Evidently this didn't do it, I still get the error.
> Any suggestions?

Well, that's a dangerous way to upgrade your kernel.  Please read the
handbook on the webpage for the supported, safe way to upgrade your
system after a cvsup.  Your problem wasn't kernel-related anyway.

Kris

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs--