Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 15:55:22 -0500
From:      Alex Nash <alex@fa.tdktca.com>
To:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.hb.north.de>
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw (was: Re: lockups.)

Juergen Lock wrote:

> Alex Nash writes:
>
> > >  just in case anyone else here sometimes boots older kernels...
> > > or makes mistakes while updating remote :)
> >
> > Nifty trick, I like it.  I just wanted to point out one thing: this
> > is only necessary if you plan to boot kernels supped before Feb 23,
> > not 0696.
>
> Umm you are thinking of -current maybe? :)  or my -stable must have
> had an, errm, interesting problem for quite a while now...
>
>  actually no (thanks cvs :), looks like current is also affected:

You mean -stable.  Yes, as of Monday this week, -current and -stable
are in sync.

> struct ip_fw has been extended and when the old ipfw(8) now tries to
> add an entry it says, ip_fw_ctl: len=64, want 100
>
>  (hmm i havent looked but maybe the kernel part could be changed to
> accept both versions?)

Ah, I misunderstood.  I thought you were trying to differentate
between the two different syntaxes -- which of course, doesn't make
any sense whatsoever :)

As far as accepting both versions: getting the new kernel to accept
the old struct would be fairly easy, the new ip_fw struct has some
extensions and two new flags, all easily defaulted.

Alex