Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:47:47 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nullfs and named pipes.

--R3G7APHDIzY6R/pk

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:15:46AM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:

> >Is this a fundamental design issue with null_fs or a bug?
> >
> >There appears to be a lot of confusion on the lists about this point
> >as many people are trying to do this so as to make a single mysql
> >server available from within a number of jails, for instance.  However
> >people appear to think that this is a limitation of the jail code, not a
> >limitation of the null_fs code.  Having named pipes work in null_fs
> >filesystems would be a very handy thing indeed.
> >
> >I'd appreciate any insights into this.
>=20
> Just wanted to say that it seems like this should work, and I'm not yet=
=20
> certain why it doesn't.  I've looked into it a bit, but my time is very=
=20
> limited, so I doubt I'll be able to put much more into it..
>=20

It's been brought to my attention that there's been a PR open about it
since April 2003: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/51583.
It's got a patch in it, but it's not complete.

I'd really really appreciated it if someone with file system foo could
take a look and comment.

Thanks thanks,
Joe

--R3G7APHDIzY6R/pk