Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 10:21:00 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD on a slice on WinNT machine

On Thu, Oct 30, 1997 at 06:00:46PM -0400, Antonio Bemfica wrote:

> I volunteered to setup FreeBSD for a friend. He has a fast Pentium running
> WinNT and lots of disk space (one 8Gbyte drive divided in four partitions
> - I'd be using one for FreeBSD) . Are there any possible pitfalls I could
> hopefully avoid? I've setup about a dozen FreeBSD boxes so far, so I'm
> pretty comfortable with the process. However, I've only installed to empty
> drives or on partitions on Win95 machines.

I don't envisage any problems installing if you really have a free
slice.  WinNT will never find out it happened.  But you might have
trouble booting, depending on what kind of BIOS you have.  On older
machines, your root file system had to be entirely in the first 504 MB
on disk.  If this proves to be the case, you should still be able to
use the bootstrap on the boot floppy: just enter

  Boot: sd()kernel

> Also, will he be able to access files on the WinNT partitions? I know how
> to mount a Win95 partition so FreeBSD can access it, but I'm not sure
> about WinNT - I have no experience with it at all.

I don't know, but I suspect not.  I'm pretty sure that FreeBSD doesn't
support NT's file system.

> How about Boot Manager?  Will WinNT work after I install FreeBSD's
> boot manager?

It should do.

Greg