Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:46:34 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        Boon Hoo <theebh@magix.com.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem installing ports

Boon Hoo wrote:

> Hi, thanks for your informative reply.

During the installation when it asked you if you wanted to install the ports
tree, it would decompress the package.tgz file in /ports.  It may do some
other stuff, so I don't know if it is sufficient to decompress it in
/usr/ports.  Distfiles are the tarballs that contain the source code for the
ported applications.  The ports download these distfiles (either from CD, if
you've got it, or the Internet) and patch them and build them.  Packages are
pre-compiled and ready to install using the /stand/sysinstall program or the
pkg_add command.

> > FreeBSD (and the other BSD UNIX(TM)es) use simpler startup scripts,
> > mostly in the /etc directory.  See /etc/rc and /etc/rc.* scripts.
> > There's also /etc/defaults/rc.conf (default startup parameters) and
> > /etc/rc.conf (local custom startup parameters) config files that the
> > startup scripts use to guide startup behaviour.
> >
> It seems Linux's way of organising startup files is easier(but then again,
> i haven't really use freebsd much yet). For e.g., i notice that by default
> freebsd starts the sendmail daemon after installation. Where should i look
> for to disable sendmail from starting? In linux, it's just changing a 'S'
> to 'K'...
>
> P.S: Coming from linux background, it sure takes some time for me to adapt
> to a new OS. Something like "migrating from linux" faq (as seen on OpenBSD
> site)
> would be excellent:)

It's all a matter of what you're used to, I guess.  I use Solaris, Linux and
FreeBSD at work, so I need to understand both ways of doing it.  I prefer
BSD, so I use that at home.

--
PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware