Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:44:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request For Review: libc/libc_r changes to allow -lc_r

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.1010121162703.14751A-100000@pcnet1.pcnet.com> Daniel Eischen writes:
> : Oops, sorry, I missed the second question.  You need _foo to be
> : used within libc, so that when libc_r/libpthread is linked in,
> : it can provide a replacement function for it.  We also need to
> : determine if the function is a cancellation point or not, so
> : if you just had foo and __sys_foo, libc_r/libpthread would have
> : no way of knowing if foo was called from within libc or from
> : the user application.  The former is not a cancellation point,
> : while the latter is (if foo is read for example).
>
> I understand that.  I guess my question is why name it _foo instead of
> __foo?  I see the need for the tripartiteness, just not the need to
> call it _foo.

I guess it doesn't matter to me wether it's _foo or __foo, but
we do have to use it within libc.  We've already done the work
to use _foo in libc, so it's extra work to go back and use __foo.
I guess this gets back to the ANSI namespace issue.  Our using
_foo in libc doesn't affect an applications namespace because
it's a weak definition; anything the user provides will override
it.  But, that means that our internal use of _foo would then
call the user applications _foo.

If it's OK for folks to see and use __foo in libc as opposed
to _foo, I can make that change.

--
Dan Eischen