Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 2010 19:23:35 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Moore, Robert" <robert.moore@intel.com>, freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, Lin Ming <ming.m.lin@intel.com>
Subject:   Re: MacBookPro 5,1

On Tuesday 02 November 2010 05:50 pm, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 02/11/2010 22:50 Jung-uk Kim said the following:
> > Yes, I understand.  However, ACPICA is expecting the same size of
> > buffer *including* the optional parts if I am reading the code
> > right.
>
> Hmm, where is ACPICA doing that?

If you scrub ResourceSource, then:

AcpiSetCurrentResources() ->
AcpiRsSetSrsMethodData() ->
AcpiRsCreateAmlResources() ->
AcpiRsGetAmlLength() ->
AcpiRsStructOptionLength()

will return 0 and size of new buffer may be smaller than what we got
from _CRS.  I may have read it wrong, though. :-/

> I didn't see any connection between what *ACPICA* can return to OS
> in _CRS/_PRS and what OS can pass in _SRS.
>
> > Besides, I don't think there is any harm in doing the right
> > thing. ;-)
>
> I don't think that this is any "righter" than zero-ing out resource
> source description string.  BIOS/firmware can't possibly use that
> for anything meaningful, IMO.

I didn't say it is ever useful.  My point was it may not work for some
BIOS but I am not sure, that's all.

Jung-uk Kim