Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 1996 21:13:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        dashadow@tchnet.tchnet.com (John Hart)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtual Machines

John Hart writes:
> Ok, I have a new domain setup for one of my customers (tschindler.com)
> and I have my that in my nameserver configured correctly to point to my
> home machine (tchnet.tchnet.com).  Now, what I need to know is how I go
> about configuring HTTPD for accepting connections on tschindler.com and
> pointing to a different index file.  I have edited the
> /usr/local/www/config/httpd.conf file, as well as the
> /usr/local/www/server/conf/httpd.conf file.  (Not knowing which one was
> the actual file being used.)  Can anyone help me here?

The file is conf/httpd.conf in the server root directory.  The root
is wherever you configured it to be.

Add a Virtual host section:

<Virtualhost www.tschindler.com>
ServerAdmin somebody@tschindler.com
DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/tschindler     # If /usr/local/www is the root
ServerName www.tschindler.com
ErrorLog logs/tschindler.com/error_log
TransferLog logs/tschindler.com/access_log
</VirtualHost>

Add an alias to your network interface:
ifconfig if_whatever alias 198.109.196.2 netmask 0xffffffff

Put some pages in the document directory.  Send the server a -1
signal.

There are a slew of configuration and security details that are
important but the above will get you started.  Read and absorb all
of the docs at the NCSA and Apache site.

I just realized that you may not be using Apache.  Oh well..

John Capo                                                   jc@irbs.com
IRBS Engineering                       FreeBSD Servers and Workstations
(954) 792-9551                 Unix/Internet Consulting - ISP Solutions