Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 18:47:59 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX routing?

> Is there a document anywhere which describes the delicacies of setting
> up a FreeBSD box as an IPX router?

Nope, except maybe in the mail archives where I have helped a few people
to get it working. There has been someone who promissed to write it up
and get into the handbook, but it hasn't happened yet.

> It was at this point that things came unstuck; adding IPX support to
> the kernel was quite straightforward, as was assigning IPX addresses
> to the interface.
>
> Except that one can only assign a single net address to each
> interface, and Netware servers insist on using different net addresses
> for 802.2 and 802.3 frame types.  This isn't discussed in any of the
> documentation. 8(
>
> Next, IPXrouted was started, and in trace mode it was certainly seeing
> a lot of relevant traffic, but it wasn't learning any routes from it.
>
> After much tinkering trying to make various things work, we had to
> back the system out and reinstate the Novell server, something that
> neither I nor the customer really wanted to do.
>
> So, any suggestions?  I could probably be convinced to roll some
> longer words onthe subject if the information was available...

At the moment the code in FreeBSD only do Ethernet_II framing, so
you will have use that on the nets that connects to the FreeBSD box.
I do have code that do the Novel 802.3 protocol, but it only works
on the ed0 type cards because I use link1 in ifconfig to set it
and most other cards use that for something else like switching
10BT on/off.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za