Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:46:59 -0300
From:      daniel_sobral@voga.com.br
To:        louie@TransSys.COM
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wide characters on tcp connections

> My comment was in response to the original poster's remark
> that if TCP wasn't going to do this, then was it a better
> idea to implement a scheme using UDP or directly over IP.

You completely misread my remark. I said that not dealing with wide
character issues because they can be sent as bytes in a tcp stream would be
the same as not implementing tcp at all because you can resort to ip.

Why use TCP if IP provides everything you need? Because TCP is a standard
way of doing a common kind of connection. Now, TCP goes _over_ IP. My
question is similar to "how do I provide <tcp characteristics> over IP
connections?" The answer would be "use tcp". Well, I'm asking how do I send
wide characters over tcp connections?

--
Daniel C. Sobral                      (8-DCS)
Daniel_Sobral@voga.com.br

Tagline:
   * FreeBSD. Earth.