Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 02:54:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ji@research.att.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rebuilding world after a cvsup

 * After my first full cvsup, I went to /usr/src and typed "make
 * buildworld" followed by "make installworld", and things were (much to
 * my amazement) worked. However, it is not obvious to me how to do
 * another make after a cvsup which updates just a few files; a plain
 * "make" does not appear to do the right thing (and indeed, when
 * followed by "make install" trashed my machine the one time I tried
 * it), and make buildworld erases everything and rebuilds it from
 * scratch. Surely there must be a better way than leaving the thing to
 * compile for a couple of hours!

See /usr/src/Makefile.  You probably just need to add -DNOCLEAN to
your make command line and it will work most of the time.

Satoshi